I was recently nominated for a Liebster Award. I was nominated by Chromatic Devil, a blog that showcases the original artwork of A. E. Pacific. I am honored to be nominated for this award and I encourage everyone to visit the Chromatic Devil and check out her art for yourselves.
I started this blog in May of 2017 as a way to share my passion for drawing and photography. Before starting this blog I considered other means for sharing my work. Including Facebook, Tumblr, and other social sites. I chose WordPress and the blogging platform because it was the only social site that gave me complete control of how my work was presented. It gave me control over the site name, appearance, pages, etc. This really appealed to me.
Drawing and Photography are the two activities that are showcased on this site. However, there is one other activity that I enjoy that has not been showcased here. That activity is woodworking. I enjoy the craftmanship that goes into producing anything that is handmade. I think creating something with your hands whether it’s a drawing, painting, or a fine piece of furniture is one of the highest forms of human expression that can be achieved.
By day, I am a building designer. I work for a design / build contractor who specializes in commercial and industrial buildings. I have been in the construction industry for over 25 years. I truly enjoy the work that I do. I enjoy the fact that I can use my creativity and problem solving skills to make a living.
10 Random Facts about me:
- I am in my late 40s.
- I enjoy nature and love to hike in the mountains whenever I get the opportunity.
- I have an appreciation for anything that is handmade.
- I use a standing desk at work each day.
- I started drawing/sketching in November of 2016.
- I admire the idea of a simple lifestyle and I am trying to simplify my own life.
- I love coffee!
- I enjoy routines and that makes me a fairly predictable person.
- My studio / creative space lacks any natural light and is in my basement.
- I like antiques and vintage items.
My answers to Chromatic Devil’s questions:
1. As an artist, writer, etc., what drives you to create? That’s a good question A.E. I have never really thought about what drives me to create. It’s just something I am passionate about and a form of expression that I enjoy. As an artist, I enjoy the process of seeing a sketch grown from an outline to a rendered drawing that includes tones and values. I like seeing an object or face slowly beginning to take shape in my sketchbook. As a photographer, I enjoy the hunt for an interesting subject or composition. As a woodworker, I enjoy the process of creating a useful object that previously only existed in my mind. I love how the human mind and hands can work in concert together to bring new objects into the world. Objects that can inspire others, improve lives through their use, or simply provide comfort.
2. What do you feel is the most underrated artistic tool? Kindness and sharing…Those two things may be the most underrated tools. The willingness for someone to create something and then share it with others. The willingness to donate your time or efforts to others. Although, it’s artistic value may not be the first thing that comes to mind, I thing the inspiration that comes from such acts becomes someone else’s muse. Fueling the drive to create new art and new inspiration.
I would like to nominate the following blogs for the Liebster Award
Each of the blogs nominated below and the talented people behind them are deserving of your attention. Please visit each of these blogs and see for yourselves.
- WHEN DOGS GET WINGS – Alison is a talented artist. Her main medium is graphite but, she usually adds a pop of color to her art using various mediums. Her blog post are honest, witty and a joy to read.
- Faithwaites – Faithwaites is the blog of Cat Green and Jordan Spilman. I originally started following Jordan on Instagram. He is a talented artist in many respects. He works primarily in pen and ink. Their blog goes beyond their own work to include book reviews and guest artist interviews.
- JAMES WALKER STUDIOS – James is a talented photographer, artist, and skater. His works are very creative and pull together multiple mediums to create unique pieces of art.
- Steve Kidd Art – Steve’s blog is full of wonderful art. He works primarily in pen and ink and has a witty sense of humor. Please check out his blog and leave a comment or two.
- Licht Years – Susan is a photographer with a wonderful eye for capturing warm and inviting photographs. Her photography instantly creates an emotional response in the viewer. Do yourself a favor and check out her work.
If nominated above please visit https://theglobalaussie.com/liebster-award-2018/ for the official rules.
My questions for the blogs I have nominated
- What influences, if any, has blogging (or the blogging community) had on your art?
- What is you favorite medium, genre, or subject as it applies to the art you create?
For more information about the Liebster Award please visit https://theglobalaussie.com/liebster-award-2018/.